1. Christina Koch’s longest spaceflight Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Economics Recently, NASA astronaut Christina Koch returned to Earth from the International Space Station, where she set the record for the longest single spaceflight in history by a woman. Koch arrived along with Soyuz Commander Alexander Skvortsov of Roscosmos and Luca Parmitano... Continued.
1. PM announces Cabinet nod for Ram temple in Ayodhya Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; Polity & Governance Trust to establish Ram temple in Ayodhya Prime Minister Narendra Modi told the Lok Sabha that the Cabinet had approved a scheme for the construction of a grand Ram temple in Ayodhya by setting... Continued.
1. Why govt has lifted a duty that polyester makers paid on a chemical Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Economics During her Budget speech on Saturday, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman said the government was abolishing in “public interest” an anti-dumping duty that was levied on imports of a chemical called PTA. Domestic... Continued.
1. Why Budget proposal on tax on Indians working abroad triggered confusion Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Economics An amendment to the Income Tax Act proposed in the Finance Bill 2020, has created confusion about Indians who primarily work and earn their living outside India. The broad import of the amendment, as... Continued.
1. Whether India should import Cheetahs or not Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Environment & Biodiversity The Supreme Court’s recent green light to introduction of African cheetahs in a suitable area in India has revived a decade-long debate over the controversial plan first floated in 2009 and shot down by the court... Continued.
1. Why coronavirus could hit Indian pharma industry Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Science & Technology Reasons for India’s vulnerability Now that a case of infection by the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has been flagged in India, central and state governments will be expected to try to ensure that its response system is... Continued.
1. Why some states have Vidhan Parishads, why Andhra Pradesh doesn’t want one Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; Polity & Governance The Andhra Pradesh Assembly on Monday evening passed a resolution to abolish the state’s Legislative Council, where the opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP) has a majority. The resolution was passed under... Continued.
1. Move to sell 100% stake in Air India Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Economics Almost two years since the first attempt which failed to enthuse buyers, Air India is back on sale. Call it the government’s desperation to exit the troubled airline that is devouring tax-payer money or call it smart... Continued.
1. Nearly 2,800 coronavirus cases, including 37 outside China Read only for understanding There have been 2,798 confirmed cases of coronavirus until January 27, with 2,761 of these cases occurring in China, according to the latest update on the outbreak from the World Health Organization. The 37 cases outside of China have been reported from... Continued.
1. Nagardhan excavations: Why are findings important to understand Vakataka dynasty Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper I; Culture Recent archaeological excavations at Nagardhan in Ramtek taluka, near Nagpur, have provided concrete evidence on the life, religious affiliations and trade practices of the Vakataka dynasty that ruled parts of Central and South India between... Continued.