Nuclear Plants coming up in Gujarat
1. After the government announced that U.S. company Westinghouse’s Nuclear Power Project (NPP), planned in Gujarat's Mithi Virdi, is being moved to Andhra Pradesh, sources confirmed that Russian-owned Rosatom will build its next phase of six reactors in Andhra Pradesh as well.
2. With other States like Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal and Maharashtra facing local protests over NPPs, the government is now pinning its mega plans for generating the ‘clean’ energy on coastal Andhra Pradesh. In fact, if all the projects under consideration from Russia, the U.S. and NPCIL were to actually go through, NPPs in Andhra could account for more than 30,000 MW of the Modi government’s goal of 63,000 MW installed capacity by 2031.
3. The site for the next set of six Russian reactors is believed to be Kavali in Nellore district.
4. Prior to the move by Westinghouse, U.S. company GE-Hitachi had also been allocated a site in Kovvada, where the State plans its nuclear park.
5. Another Russian project that has been hanging fire for years, to build 6 Reactors of 1000 MWe in West Bengal’s Haripur may also be moved to Andhra Pradesh due to local protests.