Demands of National Socialist Council of Nagalim (Isak-Muivah)
1. NSCN (I-M) is the largest of the naga groups. Naga groups envisage a “Greater Nagalim” comprising the contiguous Naga-inhabited parts of Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur and Myanmar with Nagaland.
2. NSCN (I-M) also demands sovereignty from India. It agrues that the Nagas were never part of the Indian union by consent of the Naga people. That is why the Nagas will have the right to decide their role as we were never under Indian rule.
1. Thuingaleng Muivah is a general secretary of the National Socialist Council of Nagalim (Isak-Muivah)
2. Recently, chairman of NSCN (I-M) Isak Chishi Swu died.
Opposition to demand
1. Adjoining states of Nagaland oppose inclusion of their regions in Greater Nagaland.
2. Government of India argues that Nagas have to give up demand for sovereignty and the rebel outfit can be given “a solution within the Constitution of India.”
Last year, the government signed the framework agreement with NSCN-IM as it was the largest group representing the Nagas.The framework agreement carried broad parameters on which further negotiations will be carried out by GOI and NSCN-IM. Details of the framework agreement has been kept secret.