Former cricketer and two-time BJP MP Chetan Chauhan has been appointed as Chairperson of the premier National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT).
The NIFT Act, 2006, says the chairperson to the statutory body under the Ministry of Textiles is expected to be an eminent academic, scientist or technologist or professional to be nominated by the Visitor of the institute, who is the President of India.Criticism of Appointment
Criticism of appointment
1. The former Indian cricketer played “a major role in shielding” the Union Minister, against the criticism levelled against DDCA — especially of a financial nature — last year.
2. It is also alleged that Mr. Chauhan does not know much about fashion.
Other controversial appointments
1. Gajendra Chauhan as head of the FTII
2. A relatively unknown historian Y. Sudarshan Rao as chairperson of the Indian Council of Historical Research
3. Pahlaj Nihalani as CBFC chairperson