Mr. Modi held talks with Mr. Abe after arriving in the capital of Laos (Vientiane) to attend the ASEAN-India and the East Asia summits.
Highlights of meeting
1. The leaders discussed strengthening and diversification of trade and investment relations.
2. India and Japan pledged to strengthen ties in the key areas of counter-terrorism, civil nuclear cooperation, trade and investment.
3. The two leaders discussed the upcoming Japanese industrial parks in India and the cooperation in the area of ship breaking.
4. They also reviewed the progress in the India-Japan Civil Nuclear Cooperation Agreement negotiations and the high-speed rail project.
5. Hailing Japanese aid, PM Modi appreciated the consistent support rendered by Japan in India’s infrastructure development, technology up-gradation and skill-building.
6. Premier Abe recalled that 2017 will mark the 60th anniversary of the Japan-India cultural agreement. He hoped to see more Indian tourists visiting Japan.
The leaders also discussed regional issues and international developments. This is Mr. Modi’s second meeting with Mr. Abe in less than six months. They had met on the sidelines of the Nuclear Security Summit in Washington in April.