Judgement of the court
- A Delhi court sentenced former BJP MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar to life imprisonment for raping a minor girl in Uttar Pradesh’s Unnao in 2017.
- The court also imposed a fine of Rs. 25 lakh on Sengar, awarding an additional compensation of Rs. 10 lakhs over and above the amount of Rs. 25 lakh earlier awarded as ex-gratia to the victim’s mother.
- From the fine amount of Rs. 25 lakhs, on its payment or realisation, Rs.15 lakh will be paid to the State government to meet the prosecution and trial expenses of the Unnao Rape Case.
- As directed by the court, the family members of victim will continue to live for a year in a rented accommodation arranged by the Delhi Commission for Women, and the Uttar Pradesh government will pay the rental charges of Rs. 15,000 a month till November 2020.
- The CBI has been directed to ensure the security of the family members and keep assessing the threat perception every three months. The CBI can approach the Member Secretary of the Delhi State Legal Services Authority or the District Witness Protection Committee (West) for any assistance.
- The court proceedings started in August. It acquitted co-accused Shashi Singh, giving her the benefit of doubt.
What are the other charges?
Sengar also faces prosecution for the alleged murder of the victim’s father in judicial custody on April 9, 2018. He has been charge-sheeted by the CBI in another case of alleged conspiracy and criminal intimidation.
Source: The Hindu
Relevant for GS Mains Paper Paper II; Polity & Governance