1. Revisiting the quota template Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; Polity & Governance The Supreme Court, while examining the constitutional validity of the Maratha reservation, said on Monday that it will look into whether the landmark 1992 decision in Indra Sawhney v Union of India needs to be revisited. The potential reconsideration... Continued.
1. February figures add to the gloom, reveal India’s unemployment rate a shade under 7% Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Economics There’s little respite in sight for India regarding its economic distress. The month of February saw a rise️ in its unemployment rate. As per the latest data released by a private... Continued.
1. U.S thinktank downgrades India’s rank from ‘free’ to ‘partly free’ in its count of democracy Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; IOBR The Indian govt. has come under fierce criticism regarding the country’s standing as a democracy and free society. A U.S based think-tank, Freedom House has downgraded India’s status from “free”... Continued.
1. Why home loan rates are falling, and what the buyer should do Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Economics Banks and housing finance companies are competing for homebuyers with the interest rates on offer in the housing loan segment that is worth over Rs 14 lakh crore. While State Bank of India,... Continued.
1. Rape and marriage: On the Supreme Court’s failure to protect the rights of women Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper I; Social Issues Marriage and Rape A relationship between two individuals, including marriage, is built around love, respect, trust and consent. Within that civilised framework, a violent and exploitative act like rape has... Continued.
1. Jio grabs the lion’s share as 4G spectrum ‘super sale’ brings much-needed funds to govt’s coffers Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; Economics The govt. has conducted a highly successful 4G telecom spectrum auction. This was the first such auction in over four years. It offered nearly 1/5th of the Rs. 3.92... Continued.
1. Master and the roster Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; Polity & Governance The Supreme Court recently laid to rest the proceedings enquiring into a conspiracy to threaten the independence of the judiciary on the basis of sexual harassment allegations against the former Chief Justice of India (CJI), Ranjan Gogoi. After two... Continued.
1. Out of recession, Indian GDP expands 0.4% in Q3 Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Economics There has been much needed good news for the Indian economy. It has now come out of a technical recession. A country enters a technical recession if its economy contracts in two successive quarters. India witnessed... Continued.
1. Nanosheets help in the detection of uric acid in urine, alcohol in breath Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Science & Technology Mass spectrometry Mass spectrometry is an important tool and has helped win several Nobel Prizes. It provides valuable information about the composition and structure of molecules and has found applications... Continued.
1. Centre lifts embargo to let private banks handle its business transactions Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Economics In a significant policy change, the Central govt. has lifted the restrictions on the grant of govt. businesses to private banks. Now, all private sector banks will be allowed to conduct govt-related banking transactions.... Continued.