1. Corona takes its biggest sporting toll yet, Tokyo 2020 Olympics get postponed till next year Relevant for GS Prelims The coronavirus pandemic, besides taking thousands of lives and crippling the global economy, has also affected the sporting world. The past few weeks have witnessed, either suspension or cancellation of many sporting events. The latest... Continued.
1. National Supercomputing Mission Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Science & Technology The 2020-21 is an important year for India’s National Supercomputing Mission (NSM). The mission was set up to provide the country with supercomputing infrastructure to meet the increasing computational demands of academia, researchers, MSMEs, and startups by creating the capability... Continued.
1. On China’s lead in containing coronavirus Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Science & Technology In a remarkable turnaround, China had zero cases of novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) on March 18-20, including in Wuhan, the epicentre of the epidemic. This comes three months after the first case emerged in Wuhan. But on March... Continued.
1. Why has the rupee fallen against the dollar? Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Economics The rupee slumped on Friday to a record closing low of 75.20 against the U.S. dollar as deepening concerns about the economic fallout of the COVID-19 pandemic sent global investors scurrying to dump most assets, especially emerging... Continued.
1. Rupee falls below 75 for 1st time Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Economics Hit by capital outflows, sustained stock market fall and worries over a deepening slowdown, the rupee hit a fresh record intra-day low of 75.30 per dollar and closed at an all-time low of 75.12, a fall of 86... Continued.
1. Corona ‘infected’ Bitcoin now trades well below its production cost Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Economics Bitcoin, the world’s most famous cryptocurrency is currently taking a severe beating. This comes in the wake of the ongoing economic meltdown caused by the coronavirus. With stock market falling to record levels with every... Continued.
1. How the coronavirus (COVID-19) test works Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Science & Technology How does the PCR test look for the virus in swab samples? How long does it take? How many samples is India testing daily, and can it test more? If it can, why has it not scaled... Continued.
1. Why South Korea and Italy have produced vastly differing results Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Science & Technology A month ago, on February 15, Italy had three cases of coronavirus infection; South Korea had 28. Today, Italy is the world’s worst-hit after China, with nearly 28,000 infections, over 2,150 deaths, and... Continued.
1. Coronavirus testing in India, elsewhere Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Science & Technology On Friday, the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) announced that it would start testing influenza patients without any travel history or contact with novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) for signs of community transmission, terming it “inevitable”. Last week... Continued.
1. UP Government strategy to ‘name and shame’ through posters Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; Polity & Governance It is regrettable that the Uttar Pradesh government has appealed against the Allahabad High Court order directing the removal of hoardings in Lucknow that displayed details of those who participated in the protests against... Continued.