1. What’s driving the fresh optimism around MFs Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Economics In May, even as the country was facing its biggest health crisis, the mutual fund industry witnessed the highest net inflow since March 2020. While some say the markets are delinked from the realities of the economy, insiders... Continued.
1. Mixing Covid-19 vaccines Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Science & Technology India plans to embark soon on an exercise to investigate if it can immunise people using a “mix and match” of different Covid-19 vaccines. This would mean following up one dose of a particular vaccine with a second dose of... Continued.
1. Why do aircraft run into turbulence; how can you be safe during one? Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Science & Technology Eight passengers on board a Vistara flight from Mumbai to Kolkata on Monday, June 7, suffered injuries after the Boeing 737-800 encountered severe turbulence during its descent. While five of... Continued.
1. Jeff Bezos gears up to usher in a new era of private commercial space travel, will fly to the edge of space in his own start-up’s rocket in July Relevant for GS Prelims Amazon boss – Jeff Bezos is preparing to make history in the world of space tourism, a few weeks from now.... Continued.
1. Behind RBI’s decision to keep repo rate unchanged Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Economics With Covid pandemic impacting the near-term outlook of the economy, the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on Friday kept the key lending rate, or the repo rate, unchanged at 4 per... Continued.
1. Why has the U.S. delayed tariffs under digital services tax? Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Economics During the past week, the United States announced and then immediately suspended a 25% tariff on $2 billion of imports from six countries, including India, as a retaliatory measure against each of these countries’ imposition... Continued.
1. A new home for old artefacts Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; Polity & Governance The National Museum in Delhi is a repository of India’s rich history and proud heritage. Over the past few months, many critical pieces have been written about the government’s decision to move the museum to the North... Continued.
1. Where did Covid-19 virus come from? Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Science & Technology On May 26, US President Joe Biden announced that he had tasked the country’s “intelligence community to redouble their efforts to collect and analyse information that would bring us closest to a definitive conclusion” on whether the... Continued.
1. India’s GDP fall, in perspective Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Economics On Monday, the Indian government released its latest estimates of economic growth for the last financial year that ended in March 2021. India’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) contracted by 7.3% in 2020-21. To understand this fall in perspective, remember that... Continued.
1. What are the benefits under pension schemes for Covid-hit families? Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Economics Amid the unfolding pandemic, the government has announced an extension of pension coverage and insurance benefits for dependents of those who died due to Covid-19. The pension coverage under the Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC)... Continued.