1. Unpacking the telecom reforms package Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Economics On September 15, the Union Cabinet approved a set of nine structural and procedural reforms to address the short-term liquidity needs as well as long-term issues of telecom companies. While the companies have welcomed the move, analysts are sceptical about... Continued.
1. A national commission is essential to make appointments to tribunals Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; Polity & Governance Allegations against Union government Recent developments have demonstrated the Union government’s implacable determination to undermine the autonomy of the various tribunals in the country. It recently got Parliament to enact the Tribunals Reforms... Continued.
1. US, UK and Australia agree new Indo-Pacific security pact Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; International Relations AUKUS Australia, the United States and the United Kingdom have announced a new trilateral security alliance, including a joint effort to help the Australian military acquire nuclear-powered submarines, in an apparent attempt to counter China.... Continued.
1. Lifeline for telcos as government offers four-year moratorium on dues Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Economics Relief to Telecom sector The Cabinet on Wednesday approved several measures to extend a lifeline to the cash-strapped telecom sector, including a redefinition of the much-litigated concept of adjusted gross revenue (AGR) to exclude non-telecom... Continued.
1. Partners in the Indo-Pacific Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; International Relations A few days ago, India’s Defence Minister and External Affairs Minister held the inaugural ‘2+2’ talks with their Australian counterparts. Both countries are taking several steps to implement their vision of a peaceful and prosperous Indo-Pacific region. Positive trajectory of... Continued.
1. India, U.S. to collaborate on reaching green energy targets Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Environment U.S. Climate envoy Kerry in Delhi, meets Environment Minister Yadav. As per the discussions, the United States is to collaborate with India to work towards installing 450 GW of renewable energy by 2030. Currently India’s installed... Continued.
1. A Patel at the helm: On change of guard in Gujarat Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; Polity & Governance New CM of Gujarat Effecting the fourth change of guard in a State this year, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) replaced Vijay Rupani with Bhupendra Patel as Chief Minister in Gujarat on... Continued.
1. Why WhatsApp is encrypting backups and how this will impact users Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Science & Technology Facebook-owned messaging platform WhatsApp has introduced end-to-end encryption for backups of chats that its users take on cloud services such as Google Drive or Apple’s iCloud. The move is being looked at... Continued.
1. Where are the programmers? Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Science & Technology Inadequate teaching has given rise to an aversion of programming across campuses Every year, lakhs of youngsters graduate with computer science, computer application and engineering degrees from Indian universities. A few years ago, Aspiring Minds created a stir when... Continued.
1. Seven things to note in the new Afghan government Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; International Relations The Taliban announced their cabinet Tuesday (September 7) evening, three days after the chief of Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) Lt General Faiz Hameed reached Kabul to decide on government formation. In terms of structure, the... Continued.