1. Making them pay: on regulating app store operators Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Science & Technology About South Korea’s new law South Korea’s newest legislation, dubbed the ‘anti-Google’ law, is something that Indian lawmakers should consider emulating. Last week, its Parliament passed an amendment to its Telecommunications Business Act with the... Continued.
1. What is the ‘food emergency’ in Sri Lanka? Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; International Issues On August 30, 2021, Sri Lankan President Gotabaya Rajapaksa, using powers vested in the country’s Public Security Ordinance, declared Emergency regulations pertaining to the distribution of essential food items. The regulations sought to empower authorities to... Continued.
1. Which sectors fuelled exports growth so far in FY22? Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Economics Merchandise exports hit $33.14 billion in August, up 45.2 per cent year- on-year, backed by strong international demand, according to data released by the Commerce Ministry. Last month added to a strong export performance in the... Continued.
1. What are the requirements for Indians travelling to Turkey? Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; International Relations Effective Saturday, travellers flying to Turkey from India will no longer have to undergo the mandatory 14-day quarantine upon arrival as long as they are fully vaccinated, the Turkish Embassy in New Delhi said. So,... Continued.
1. Durand Line: Friction point between Afghanistan, Pakistan Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; International Relations Earlier this week, Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid told a Pashto channel in Pakistan that Afghans oppose the fence erected by Pakistan along the Durand Line. “The new Afghan government will announce its position on this issue. The... Continued.
1. America’s longest war in Afghanistan cost thousands of lives, trillions of dollars Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; International Issues US military planes have carried the last US service members and diplomats from Kabul’s airport, ending America’s longest war. Ordinary Americans closely watched the chaotic withdrawal from Afghanistan, as they did the... Continued.
1. Is Covid-19 now endemic in India? Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Science & Technology As India gets ready to face a possible third wave of SARS-CoV-2, World Health Organization (WHO) chief scientist Dr Soumya Swaminathan has said that “India seems to be entering some stage of Covid-19 endemicity where there is... Continued.