1. Reading Facebook Oversight Board decision on Donald Trump ban Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; IOBR An independent Oversight Board of social media conglomerate Facebook held that the platform had rightly restricted the former president of the US Donald Trump from accessing his page and posting content on it after the Capitol... Continued.
1. Reading Supreme Court’s Maratha quota verdict Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; Polity & Governance A five-judge Constitution Bench of the Supreme Court on Wednesday struck down the Maharashtra law granting reservation to the Maratha community in admissions and government jobs in the state. The court had framed six questions of law... Continued.
1. Behind frequent hospital fires in India Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Science & Technology As many as 93 people, most of them Covid-19 patients, died in 24 incidents of fire in hospitals in India since last August. Why are these fires taking place regularly, despite the hospitals having passed fire checks... Continued.
1. How likely is Covid-19 reinfection? Here are findings of an ICMR study Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Science & Technology In a first-of-its-kind exercise, a team of scientists from the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has identified a set of most plausible cases of reinfection of SARS-CoV2 virus in India.... Continued.
1. Why the US has banned travel from India Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; IOBR The US government early Saturday announced a ban on entry of non-citizens or non-residents if they have been to India in the past 14 days on account of rising coronavirus cases. This will be effective 12.01 am... Continued.
1. How far can people delay taking the second shot of COVID-19 vaccine? Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; Polity & Governance Despite a massive shortage of COVID-19 vaccines across the country, the Central government announced that vaccination for everyone above 18 would begin from May 1. But several State governments expressed their... Continued.
1. A demographic change with major repercussions, China’s population drops for the first time in five decades Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; IOBR The world’s most populous nation – China is going through a silent but significant transformation. As per the latest figures collected in a once in a decade census, the... Continued.
1.Centre notifies GNCT Act that gives more powers to Delhi L-G Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; Polity & Governance The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) issued a gazette notification stating that the provisions of the Government of National Capital Territory (GNCT) of Delhi (Amendment) Act, 2021, would be deemed to have come... Continued.
1. As country gasps for breath, corporate India steps in to bolster up oxygen capacity and supply chain Relevant only for understanding Since the number of deaths and new covid infections showing no signs of decline, India’s health system is struggling to cope up with this grave crisis. In view of this grim situation, corporate... Continued.
1. Despite covid blues, insecurities and ambitions make nations shell out nearly $2 trillion on military expenditure Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; IOBR Even as the world is in the grip of the covid pandemic for well over a year now, this crisis hasn’t impacted the global military expenditure. In fact, this... Continued.