1. Economic Implications of Lockdown and Suggestions to overcome its effects Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Economics The choice for Prime Minister Narendra Modi, as when he decided to impose the lockdown on March 24, is— between saving lives and ensuring livelihoods. He rightly privileged the former over the latter. Implications 1.... Continued.
1. Kejriwal launches ‘Operation SHIELD’ against COVID-19 Relevant for GS Prelims The Delhi government will carry out ‘Operation SHIELD’ at 21 locations identified as containment zones in the Capital. What is Operation Shield? ‘Operation SHIELD’, which includes sealing, identifying and quarantining people in containment zones, doorstep delivery of essential items and door-to-door chec-king of people... Continued.
1. China beats the U.S on the in-home ground, files more new patent applications last year Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; IOBR China’s bid to become the world’s dominating nation in the field of technology is evident from a new set of data. Last year, the UN’s patent agency, WIPO received the... Continued.
1. Hydroxychloroquine: The drug everyone is looking at Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Science & Technology The government has decided to ease its ban on the export of hydroxychloroquine, a drug that has garnered global interest in the treatment and prevention of COVID-19. On Tuesday, US President Donald Trump tweeted about “retaliation”... Continued.
1. A helping hand in the times of Corona, Spain to become the first European nation to offer a ‘Universal Basic Income’ Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Economics One of the world’s most popular tourist destinations, Spain has been among the most severely affected countries in the world when it comes to... Continued.
1. Can a mother transmit the COVID-19 virus to foetus or newborn? Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Science & Technology Last week, a three-day-old baby and his mother tested positive for COVID-19 in a private lab in Mumbai, but subsequently tested negative in Kasturba Hospital. It is still unclear whether a pregnant... Continued.
1. Does BCG protect against coronavirus? Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Science & Technology For millions growing up in India until the 1960s (when the smallpox vaccine came), BCG was the only vaccine — one that literally introduced the concept of vaccines in the country. Does this ages-old BCG vaccine also protect... Continued.
1. Geo-fencing app will be used to locate quarantine violators Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Science & Technology The Centre is using powers under the Indian Telegraph Act to “fetch information” from telecom companies every 15 minutes to track COVID-19 cases across the country. The government has tested an application that triggers... Continued.
1. A lockdown, followed by aggressive screening testing and hospitalisation, brought results Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Science & Technology 1. The key takeaway from the experience of Wuhan is few “earlys” — early protection, early detection, early diagnosis, and early isolation. The goal of the lockdown should not just be to... Continued.
1. Rate of COVID-19 spread in India, world Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Science & Technology Transmission of COVID-19 in India has increased to an extent over the past week, yet the rate remains significantly lower than that the global rate. Persons infected by each person On March 19, every positive case... Continued.