Indian ace Saina Nehwal received a huge boost ahead of the Rio Olympics as she clinched her second Australian Open title after defeating China’s Sun Yu in a thrilling three-game final of the Super Series badminton tournament here on Sunday.
The 26-year-old from Hyderabad eked out a 11-21 21-14 21-19 over the World No. 12 Sun in a fighting summit clash that lasted an hour and 11 minutes here.
First title this season:
She clinched her maiden title of the season and pocketed a cheque of USD 56,250.
1. London Olympics bronze medallist.
2. It is Saina’s second Australian Open victory, having clinched the title in 2014 as well.
3. She is also the first Indian afterPrakash Padukone and the first Indian woman to become world number 1 badminton player.
4. She is the first Indian to win the World Junior Badminton Championships
5. She was also the first Indian to win a Super Series tournament, by clinching the Indonesia Open on 21 June 2009.