1. Insurance regulator steps in for standard Covid-19 product Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; Polity & Governance WITH COVID-19 patients running up high bills in private hospitals, the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) has asked the General Insurance Council — the apex body of general insurers — to arrive... Continued.
1. Forex reserves hit all-time high on FDI, FPI inflows, fall in import expenditure Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Economics Even as the coronavirus pandemic continued to spread and impact inflow of funds by foreign portfolio investors, foreign exchange reserves hit an all-time high of $490 billion in the week-ended May 22... Continued.
1. For a reset in India-Nepal relations Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; IOBR Once again, relations between India and Nepal have taken a turn for the worse. The immediate provocation is the long-standing territorial issue surrounding Kalapani, a patch of land near the India-Nepal border, close to the Lipulekh Pass on the... Continued.
1. ICMR removes ₹4,500 cap on COVID-19 test Relevant for GS Prelims The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has written to all the States and the Union Territories, suggesting that the upper ceiling of ₹4,500 for the reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) test be removed so that they can negotiate with the approved laboratories... Continued.
1. Solidarity Trial: What progress has been made so far Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Science & Technology Late on Monday night India time, the World Health Organization (WHO) announced it would no longer assign patients to the hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) arm of the multi-country Solidarity Trial on possible treatments for Covid-19. The... Continued.
1. Hockey legend Balbir Singh Sr passes away at 96 Relevant for GS Prelims Achievements Triple Olympic gold medallist Balbir Singh Senior breathed his last on Monday morning. He was 96. Singh was member of the 1948 London Olympics gold medal-winning Indian hockey team, apart from being the vice-captain of the 1952 victorious side and... Continued.
1. UGC gives green light to students to pursue dual degrees simultaneously Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper I; Social Issues In a major policy shift, the University Grants Commission (UGC) has approved a proposal to let students pursue two educational degrees at the same time. The two degrees could either be from the... Continued.
1. RBI cuts repo rate again, down to 4% Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Economics Reduction in Repo rate The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) further reduced the key interest rate or the repo rate by 40 bps on Friday, after a yet another out-of-turn Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) meeting as the... Continued.
1. How lockdown has impacted Indian farmers, their yields Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Economics The Public Health Foundation of India (PHFI), Harvard T H Chan School of Public Health and the Centre for Sustainable Agriculture (CSA, Hyderabad), recently completed the telephone survey, covering 1,429 agricultural households in 200 districts. It was... Continued.
1. What is Cyclone Amphan and how it got its name: All you need to know Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper I; Geography According to the Chief Minister of West Bengal, the impact of the cyclone is worse than coronavirus. She said that three districts of South and North 24 Parganas and East... Continued.