1. Which countries have restricted travel to and from India amid Covid-19 second wave? Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Science & Technology With the number of Covid-19 cases in India on an upsurge, the international community is drawing the line when it comes to travel from here. Late Monday, the United Kingdom... Continued.
Why is there debate in the US over who can play women’s sports? Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper I; Social Issues Republican legislators in more than half of the US states are pushing for new laws aimed at banning transgender women/girls from playing for teams in school and university sports. It has created... Continued.
1. How will the U.S. Supreme Court verdict in the Oracle vs. Google case affect the software industry? Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; IOBR On April 5, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in favour of Alphabet Inc.’s Google in a case where it was accused by Oracle of violating the country’s copyright... Continued.
1. 10 key reasons why coronavirus transmission is primarily airborne Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Science & Technology Since last year, several studies have found that the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 spreads mainly through the air. Yet there have also been other studies, including a recent one funded by the World Health Organization, that... Continued.
UNFPA’s population report turns spotlight on bodily autonomy Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; IOBR Women’s access to bodily autonomy is measured in the report through their power to make their own decisions about their reproductive health care, contraceptive use and sexual relations and the extent to which the laws of the countries... Continued.
1. Navigation with permission Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; IOBR On April 7, the U.S.’s 7th Fleet Destroyer, the USS John Paul Jones, conducted a ‘Freedom of Navigation Operation’ 130 nautical miles west of the Lakshadweep Islands inside India’s Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ). Not only was this exercise conducted without requesting India’s... Continued.
1. No breathing space for govt. amid covid mayhem as IIP contracts while inflation surges Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Economics There has been no respite for the govt. on the economic front as it struggles to contain a huge second wave of the covid pandemic. The latest data figures are a... Continued.
1. Not on the same page at sea Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; IOBR India’s strategic community was agitated last week when the USS John Paul Jones carried out a freedom of navigation operation (FONOP) 130 nautical miles west of the Lakshadweep Islands. Indian observers reacted with shock and dismay at what... Continued.
1. Facebook data leak: How are Indian users affected, and should you worry? Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Science & Technology Earlier this year, it emerged that personal information of over 533 million Facebook users from 106 countries had been leaked online. In January, Alon Gal, CTO of cyber intelligence firm Hudson... Continued.
Indus and Ganges river dolphins are two different species Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Environment Photograph of surfacing Indus River dolphin (left: photo credit WWF-Pakistan) and Ganges River dolphin (right: photo credit: Mansur/WCS Bangladesh) “What’s in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet,” wrote Shakespeare. But ask... Continued.