1. TRP and its loopholes Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; Polity & Governance What is a TRP? In simple terms, anyone who watches television for more than a minute is considered a viewer. A viewer can be as young as a two-year-old. The TRP or Target Rating Point is the metric used... Continued.
1. Nobel Prize in Chemistry for scissors to edit genes Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Science & Technology Its simplicity has often been compared to the ‘Cut-Copy-Paste’ mechanism in any word processor (or probably, the equally common ‘Find-Replace’ mechanism), while its uses can potentially transform human beings, and all other life forms.... Continued.
1. Nobel for black hole physics Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Science & Technology In 1997, the famous Indian astrophysicist Jayant Narlikar organised a public talk for a visiting British mathematical physicist in an auditorium in central Pune. Contrary to expectations, over 5,000 people turned up to listen. With the auditorium packed... Continued.
1. GST Council splits on state compensation; surcharge on luxury goods, tobacco extended Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Economics No consensus on State compensation issue The Goods and Services Tax (GST) Council on Monday decided to extend the surcharge on taxes over luxury goods such as cars, and tobacco products beyond June... Continued.
1. What happens to US election if Covid-19 puts Trump out of the contest? Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; IOBR Since US President Donald Trump announced that he and Melania Trump have tested positive for Covid-19, it has led to uncertainty about how the presidential election of November 3 will now play... Continued.
1. World’s longest highway tunnel opened in Himachal Pradesh Relevant for GS Prelims Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Atal Tunnel at Rohtang at an altitude of above 3,000 metres in Himachal Pradesh. The 9.02 km-long-tunnel, built by the Border Roads Organisation (BRO), is the world’s longest highway tunnel and connects Manali to Lahaul-Spiti valley.... Continued.
1. Amnesty International India Shuts Down, Blames Government’s ‘Reprisal’ Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; Polity & Governance After a successful eight-year run in India addressing several crucial human rights violations amid growing hostility and the government’s clampdown on civil liberties, Amnesty International (AI) India has decided to shut its operations in the... Continued.
1. Understanding an abundant, highly transmissible coronavirus mutation Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Science & Technology The coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 is constantly mutating, but one mutation in particular has caught the eye of researchers for its abundance. Named D614G, this mutation has been found more transmissible than most others. What is D614G mutation?... Continued.
1. What are ESG funds, big abroad, and now finding interest in India too Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Economics Although big in global investments, ESG funds — which imbibe environment, social responsibility and corporate governance in their investing process— are witnessing growing interest in the Indian mutual fund industry too. There... Continued.
1. Maharashtra crackdowns on tobacco use, becomes the 1st Indian state to ban the sale of loose cigarettes Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; Polity & Governance In a welcome move, Maharashtra has become the first state in the country to ban the sale of loose cigarettes and beedis. This has been done... Continued.