1. Why has Gujarat given American dragon fruit a Sanskrit name? Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper I; Social Issues Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani has said that the state proposes to rename dragon fruit as ‘Kamalam’. Dragon fruit “does not sound appropriate”, Rupani said; Kamalam was apt because the characteristic fuchsia ‘spikes’ or... Continued.
1. Curtain Raiser: Indo-French Exercise Desert Knight-21 Relevant for GS Prelims Indian Air Force and French Air and Space Force (Armée de l’Air et de l’Espace) will conduct a bilateral Air exercise, Ex Desert Knight-21 at Air Force Station Jodhpur from 20 to 24 Jan 21. French side will participate with Rafale, Airbus A-330 Multi-Role... Continued.
1. In protecting the wearer, two masks can be better than one, scientists say Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Science & Technology In a pandemic during which our knowledge of the novel coronavirus is still evolving, two scientists have sought to clear some of the confusion over the performance of masks. They... Continued.
1. Rapid blood test predicts which Covid-19 patients will develop severe disease Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Science & Technology For doctors, it is a difficult to predict which Covid-19 patients will go on to develop severe disease, including complications that require the insertion of a breathing tube, kidney dialysis or other... Continued.
1. Why are Democrats and Republicans opposed to Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act? Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; IOBR In the U.S., Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act (CDA) regulates online publication and liability. Specifically, the 1996 law states: “No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall... Continued.
1. 30-day notice period not mandatory under Special Marriage Act: Allahabad High Court Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; Polity & Governance Allahabad HC Judgement In a judgment removing hindrances to inter-faith marriages, and likely to have a bearing on the set of laws enacted by BJP-ruled states including Uttar Pradesh that prohibit... Continued.
1. Spooked by new WhatsApp data sharing policy, users start shifting towards Signal and Telegram Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Science & Technology There has been a noticeable shake-up in instant messaging space in India as well as the world. WhatsApp’s rivals – Signal and Telegram have got a massive boost after... Continued.
1. Tesla sets the ball rolling in India by opening office in Bengaluru Relevant for GS Prelims Tesla, the world’s most valued carmaker has made an entry into India. It has set up a subsidiary in Bengaluru. It is the first step in the process of setting up an R&D unit and a manufacturing plant... Continued.
1. Decoding Cuba’s currency reforms Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper II; IOBR The devaluation of the Cuban peso (CUP) and the withdrawal of the convertible peso (CUC), the second currency of the country, neither of which can be traded internationally, caps Cuba’s gradual economic transition since the end of the Soviet Union. The... Continued.
1. Crypto market cap goes past $1 trillion Relevant for GS Prelims & Mains Paper III; Economics In a significant development, the total market value of all cryptocurrencies has now crossed $1 trillion (nearly Rs. 75 lakh crores) for the first ever time. As per data from crypto coin tracking apps – CoinMarketCap and CoinGecko,... Continued.